Marriages and divorces, Slovenia, 2020

In 2020 fewer marriages and divorces than in 2019

In 2020, 5,214 couples were married and 1,774 were divorced. The number of marriages was 22% lower and the number of divorces 28% lower than in 2019. A lower number of marriages and divorces in 2020 is associated with measures to contain the spread of COVID-19.

  • 8 June 2021 at 10:30
  • |
  • final data

22% fewer marriages in 2020 than in 2019

The adoption of measures to contain the spread of COVID-19 in 2020 had an effect on the number of marriages. In Slovenia in 2020, 5,214 couples were married or 1,458 (21.9%) fewer than in 2019. The crude marriage rate or the number of marriages per 1,000 population was 2.5 or the lowest since the number of marriages in Slovenia started to be monitored (since 1954).

In April 2020, 96% fewer marriages than usual in that month

In January and February 2020, when there were no measures related to containing the spread of COVID-19, the number of marriages was higher than the average in January and February 2015–2019.

In March 2020, when the epidemic was declared in Slovenia, we recorded 55.6% fewer marriages than on average in March 2015–2019. In April 2020, only 17 couples were married, which is 95.9% fewer than on average in April 2015–2019.

In July and August 2020, when measures to contain the spread of COVID-19 were lifted, the number of marriages increased. In 2020, most couples were married in August (1,009 or 9.3% more than the average in August 2015–2019). For couples who were married in 2020, the happiest day was 8 August. On that day, most couples were married (207).

In October 2020, when the epidemic and related measures were declared again in Slovenia, the number of marriages decreased. In November 2020, there were 71.0% and in December 42.7% fewer marriages than on average in November and December 2015–2019.

On average grooms almost three years older than brides in 2020

The mean age of groom at marriage in 2020 was 36.5 years. On average, grooms were 2.7 years older than brides (33.8 years).

The mean age of grooms at first marriage in 2020 was 32.4 years and they were on average almost 2 years older that brides at first marriage (30.5 years).

4,620 (88.6%) grooms and 4,641 (89.0%) brides were married for the first time. For 4,313 (82.7%) couples this was the first marriage for both spouses.

47 formal civil unions
In 2020, 47 formal civil unions were concluded; 21 between men and 26 between women.

28 % fewer divorces in 2020 than in 2019

1,774 divorces took place in 2020, 702 (28.4%) fewer than in 2019. The mean age of husband at divorce was 47.3 years and of wife 44.4 years. Average duration of marriage at divorce was 14.2 years. 33 marriages ended in divorce in the first year of marriage.

941 (53.0%) divorces were without dependent children. The remaining 833 (47.0%) marriages that ended in divorce in 2020 involved 1,389 dependent children. Most of those children were assigned to the mother (63.6%); 5.9% were assigned to the father, and 29.1% to both parents.

Time series of data on marriages and divorces, published in the SiStat Database, have been updated with data for 2020.

Marriages and divorces, Slovenia
  per 1,000 population3.22.5
Mean age
Mean age at first marriage
Formal civil unions1)5447
  between men2521
  between women2926
  per 1,000 population1.20.8
  per 1,000 marriages371.1340.2
Source: SURS
1) Until 2016 the data refer to registered same-sex partnerships and from 2017 on to formal civil unions.
When making use of the data and information of the Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia, always add: "Source: SURS". More: Copyright.