Public Sewage system, Slovenia, 2019

In 2019, 68.5% of waste water discharged from the public sewage system was treated in treatment plants

In 2019, 241.1 million m3 of waste water was brought into the public sewage system in Slovenia, which is 4.6% more than in 2018. Almost two thirds of waste water was treated before release.

  • 9/15/2020
  • |
  • final data

More urban waste water generated in 2019 
In 2019, 241.1 million m3 of waste water was brought into the public sewage system in Slovenia which is 4.6% more than in 2018. Waste water was of different sources, of these  5.0% from industry, 8.2% from other activities and 24.1% from households, while 62.7% of waste water was other waste water (such as rainwater, run-off rain water, etc.).

Households generated 58.0 million m3 of urban waste water in 2019, which is 1.8% more than in 2018.

Two thirds of waste water treated before release  
In 2019, 165.1 million m3 of waste water (69.2%) was treated before release from the public sewage system into the environment. The largest quantity of waste water was treated with tertiary treatment (48.0%), whereas the smallest quantity of waste water (2.0%) was treated with primary treatment.

According to the latest data, the largest share of the treated waste water (95.0%) was recorded in the Pomurska statistical region and in the Notransko-kraška statistical region. In both these regions the largest quantity of waste water was treated with tertiary treatment, namely in the Pomurska statistical region 77.0% and in the Notranjsko-kraška statistical region 82.0% of waste water. The largest quantity of waste water treated with secondary treatment was in the Spodanjeposavska statistical region (48.0%) and in the Osrednjeslovenska statistical region (36.0%).

The remaining 75.9 million m3 or 30.8% of waste water remained untreated. Almost 97.7% of untreated waste water  was discharged into surface water and the remaining 2.3% was discharged in ground water and on the coast.  On the other hand, the treated waste water was discharged in almost equal shares: 95.5% in surface water, about 2.0% on the coast and slightly over 2.5% into ground water.

 

Larger quantities of drainage waste water (rainwater and run-off rain water)
Almost 151.4 million m3 of waste water ran off from roofs and hardened paved areas into the public sewage (or the soil).Rainwater and run-off rain water represented 62.7% of waste water in 2019. Compared to 2018, the quantity increased by 6.6%.

 

Detailed data are available in the SI-STAT Database.

Waste water by sources of pollution Slovenija, 2019
Waste water by sources of pollution Slovenija, 2019
Vir: MOP
Treated and untreated waste municipal water discharged, Slovenija
20182019
m3 (1.000)
Total230,638241,131
Untreated municipal waste water61,66574,249
Treated municipal waste water168,973165,143
Source: MOP
Visit our SiStat database.