We ask all data providers to participate in our surveys. Only with your help will we be able to show the impact of the changing situation in our economy and society. Thank you very much. More information 

Marriages and divorces, Slovenia, 2019

25 May - the day with most marriages in 2019

In 2019, 6,672 couples were married and 2,476 were divorced. The number of marriages was 8% lower and the number of divorces 5.5% higher than in 2018. In 2019, 54 formal civil unions were concluded.

  • 6/8/2020
  • |
  • final data

Basic data on marriages

In 2019, 6,672 couples were married, 584 (8.0%) fewer than a year before. The marriage rate per 1,000 population was 3.2.

The happiest day for many wedding couples was 25 May. On that day, the most couples married in 2019 (271). The month with the most marriages was June, when more than 1,100 couples were married. Most couples were married on Saturdays (62.9%) and 37.1% on the other days in a week.

The mean age of groom at marriage in 2019 was 36.9 years. On average grooms were almost three years older than brides (34.0 years).

5,907 (88.5%) grooms and 5,927 (88.8%) brides were married for the first time. For 5,499 (82.4%) couples this was the first marriage for both spouses. The mean age of groom at first marriage was 32.8 years. A bride was on average two years younger (30.7 years).

Most marriages take place between Slovene citizens. In 5,390 marriages (80.8%) both the groom and the bride had Slovene citizenship. 583 grooms (8.7%) with Slovene citizenship married brides with foreign citizenship. Among those, most brides were from Bosnia and Herzegovina. 514 brides (7.7%) with Slovene citizenship married grooms with foreign citizenship. Most of the grooms were also from Bosnia and Herzegovina. 185 marriages (2.8%) were between two inhabitants with foreign citizenship.


54 formal civil unions
 
In 2019, 54 formal civil unions were concluded; 25 between men and 29 between women.


Basic data on divorces
 
2,476 divorces took place in 2019, 129 (5.5%) more than in 2018. The mean age of husband at divorce was 46.8 years and of wife 43.9 years. Average duration of marriage at divorce was 14.3 years. 40 marriages ended in divorce in the first year of marriage.

1,261 (50.9%) divorces were without dependent children. The remaining 1,215 (49.1%) marriages that ended in divorce in 2019 involved 1,980 dependent children. Most of those children were assigned to the mother (67.9%); 5.3% were assigned to the father, and 24.3% to both parents.

Most divorces were between Slovene citizens. In 2,068 divorces (83.5%) both the husband and the wife at divorce had Slovene citizenship. 162 husbands (6.5%) at divorce had Slovene citizenship and wives had foreign citizenships. 211 wives (8.5%) at divorce had Slovene citizenship and husbands had foreign citizenships. 35 divorces (1.4%) were between the husband and the wife with foreign citizenship.


Some interesting facts

  • In 2019, 18 couples on average were married per day and 7 couples were divorced.
  • The month with the fewest marriages was January (186).
  • 79 grooms and 87 brides were married on their birthdays.
  • 17 couples divorced after more than 50 years of marriage.
Data on marriages and divorces by municipalities are available in the SiStat Database.
Marriages and divorces, Slovenia, 2019
Marriages and divorces, Slovenia, 2019
Vir: SURS
Marriages and divorces, Slovenia
20182019
Marriages7,2566,672
  per 1,000 population3.53.2
Mean age
  groom36.636.9
  bride33.934.0
Mean age at first marriage
  groom32.632.8
  bride30.530.7
Formal civil unions1)5054
  between men2725
  between women2329
Divorces2,3472,476
  per 1,000 population1.11.2
  per 1,000 marriages323.5371.1
Source: SURS
1) Until 2016 the data refer to registered same-sex partnerships and from 2017 on to formal civil unions.
Visit our SiStat database.