Waste, Slovenia, 2018
A resident of Slovenia generated on average 495 kg of municipal waste in 2018, 17 kg more than in 2017
Almost 8.4 million tons of waste was generated in Slovenia in 2018, of which 59% was construction and demolition waste. Municipal waste accounted for 1,025,000 tons (or 12% of total waste generated in Slovenia); 71% of it was collected separately.
The following was generated in Slovenia in 2018:
- Almost 8.4 million tons of waste, of which almost 5 million tons was construction and demolition waste, which is the main reason why the total amount of waste generated in Slovenia increased by almost 36% compared to the previous year.
- 1,025,000 tons of municipal waste. This is 12% of total waste generated in that year. In 2018, a resident of Slovenia generated on average 495 kg of municipal waste, which is 17 kg more than in 2017. The amount of municipal waste increased by almost 4% compared to the previous year.
- Almost 132,000 tons of hazardous waste (or slightly less than in the previous year). Hazardous waste represented almost 2% of total waste generated in 2018. 75% of hazardous waste was generated in production activities, 21% in service activities and 4% in households.
- More waste in all activities than in the previous year. In the service sector, 4.7 million tons (56%) was generated, just over 3.0 million tons (36%) in production activities and about 638,000 tons (8%) in households. The amount of waste generated in households was 8% higher than in the previous year.
- The largest amount of construction and demolition waste (59%), followed by waste from thermal process (13%) and municipal waste (12%), waste from metal and wood processing (7% in total) and waste from waste management facilities (4%). Other types of waste together accounted for 5% of total waste generated. Compared to the previous year, the amount of construction and demolition waste increased by almost twice (by 83%).
- Most municipal waste per capita in the Obalno-kraška statistical region (575 kg per capita) and the least in the Koroška statistical region (409 kg per capita). More municipal waste was generated in western Slovenia (532 kg per capita) than in eastern Slovenia (462 kg per capita). More information on waste at the level of statistical regions and municipalities can be viewed using the STAGE application (variables: Environment/Waste).
Waste was treated in Slovenia in 2018 according to the following treatment procedures:
- 726,000 tons of municipal waste or almost 71% of total municipal waste generated in Slovenia was collected separately. In 2018, as in the previous year, waste was separately collected in the largest share in the Gorenjska statistical region (78%) and the lowest in the Koroška statistical region (55%). In the Osrednjeslovenska statistical region, 74% of municipal waste generated in this region was collected separately.
- Nearly 8 million tons of waste was recovered through final recovery processes, and just over 349,000 tons of waste was disposed of. 42% more waste was recovered than in 2017 due to a higher amount of recovered construction and demolition waste (more of this waste was used mainly for backfilling than in the previous year). Waste disposal was 10% lower than in 2017.
- 157,000 tons of all types of waste were landfilled, which is just over 1% less than in the previous year. 92% of this waste was landfilled on municipal waste landfill sites, 4% on industrial landfill sites and also 4% on hazardous waste landfill sites. The waste that was landfilled was predominantly mixed municipal waste and residues after mechanical and biological treatment of waste (54% in total), followed by construction and demolition waste (16%) and waste from pulp and paper production and processing (11%). Other types of waste were disposed of in smaller quantities.
- Imports and exports of waste were up compared to 2017; imports by 5%, exports by 6%. In 2018, most of the imported and exported waste was metal waste (56% of all imported and 44% of all exported waste).
Waste stream, Slovenia
Sources: ARSO, SURS
Note: Recovery and disposal of waste includes amounts of waste treated by final operations.