About the event
This year's Statistical Day is the 24th statistical meeting for all those of you who use statistical data at work, study or are only interested in statistics for fun. For the second time in a row it will be held at the Congress Centre Brdo, this time on 22 October 2014. Participation at the conference is free of charge. We accept applications until 15 October 2014. See invitation in PDF form.
Statistical Day 2014 will be dedicated to young poeple. What can be done – at the level of national statistics – to make the young not perceive the future as something that causes insecurity? How can statistical data help those making decisions about what measures to prepare to change the present situation and facilitate young people to develop their full potential in education and employment, and to realise their ideas in terms of career opportunities, economic and living conditions, family planning, health and social participation? To make them independent, successful, creative and satisfied individuals and together create a society of well-being and sustainable development focused on common objectives. To make what is the objective today a fact tomorrow and for future generations…
The discussion will take place in two round tables:
Round Table 1: Official statistics tailored for young people
The first round table will focus on young people and their expectations, ideas, creativity and problems; all this in the light of availability, accessibility and use of statistical data, and new knowledge and technology. Young discussants
will present their views and ideas in the first discussion. Objectives of the round table are:
- To exchange opinions about the current state of young people’s usage of data produced by the Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia and to identify their future needs;
- To examine what statistical products and contents should be developed by the Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia to draw closer to the needs of young people;
- To identify modern information pathways for disseminating data and information that could be used by the Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia to reach more young people.
Round Table 2: Official statistics - the government and measures related to young people
The aim of the discussion is to identify to what extent statistical data satisfy the needs of the government, institutions and researchers for planning strategies and measures, implementing analyses and preparing youth policies. In doing so, the discussants
will try to answer the following questions:
- Are there enough data on young people?
- Are these truly the data needed and used by policy-makers and people preparing measures, strategies and analyses? Do they know them? How do they assess their quality? Are the data available in appropriate form? Are they sufficiently recognisable and accessible?
- What are the key data? Are there any gaps in the data? In what subject-matter areas?
- Who else in Slovenia collects the data on young people?
- What should the future focus of national statistics be in this area? How can the applicability and usefulness of these data be increased?
3. Presenting awards of the Statistical Society of Slovenia for 2014